Visit Montague Island Nature Reserve
Montague draws nature to it in a remarkable way which you can see up close on a guided tour from Narooma.
A day at Montague Island gives you a different perspective on Eurobodalla’s coast and also a sense of being somewhere special, a place outside of your life experiences.
Arguably the jewel in Eurobodalla’s crown, Montague Island is a sanctuary for wildlife, home to NSW’s largest colony of Australian and New Zealand fur seals and one of the largest little penguin breeding sites in Australia.
Guided tours to the island are available through licenced charter operators who will transport you to the island where you will be met by a National Parks & Wildlife guide.
Frequently asked questions
When do tours operate?
Daily, depending on minimum numbers and sea conditions.
What should we take?
Warm clothing, sensible walking shoes, a camera, sun protection, drinks and a snack.
Level of fitness required?
Access to the island involves disembarking from your charter boat onto a ladder and stairs to the jetty. The moderate walk on the island is paved with a relatively steep climb up to the lighthouse.
What can we expect to see?
All tours are accompanied by a National Parks & Wildlife Service guide. Expect to see a variety of wildlife, dependent on the season. Your guide will take you on an exploratory walk to view and learn about the historic and natural features of Baranguba (Montague Island) including the lighthouse.
Tours may be combined with snorkelling or whale watching – enquire with your charter operator for pricing and options.
- Departs: 8am or 8.30am
- Cost: From around $120 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 3.5 – 4 hours. Spend 2.5 hours on the island and visit the seal colonies
- Departs: 12.30pm or 1pm
- Cost: From around $100 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 2.5 – 3 hours. Spend 1 hour on the island and visit the seal colonies
This tour is usually only offered during summer.
- Departs: Late afternoon. The time is subject to the length of the day and will be advised by your charter operator when you book your tour. Little Penguins come into shore at sunset.
- Cost: From around $110 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 3 – 3.5 hours. Spend 1.5 hours on Montague Island. Visit the sdeal colonies and watch the sun set while the Little Penguins come ashore.