Take a tour to Barunguba MONTAGUE ISLAND
Barunguba Montague Island draws nature to it in a remarkable way which you can see up close on guided Barunguba Montague Island tours departing from Narooma, on the south coast of New South Wales.
Barunguba Montague Island tours allow you to land on, and explore, Barunguba Montague Island. A day at Barunguba Montague Island gives you a different perspective on Eurobodalla’s coast and also a sense of being somewhere special, a place outside of your life experiences.
Arguably the jewel in Eurobodalla’s crown, Barunguba Montague Island is a sanctuary for wildlife, home to NSW’s largest colony of Australian and New Zealand fur seals and one of the largest little penguin breeding sites in Australia. It is also one of the top whale watching destinations on the south coast, attracting Humpback whales, Southern Right whales and Orcas.
Guided tours to the island are available through licenced charter operators who will transport you to the island where you will be met by a National Parks and Wildlife guide.
Visit Barunguba Montague Island Nature Reserve
Barunguba Montague Island: Frequently asked questions
When do tours operate?
Daily, depending on minimum numbers and sea conditions.
Whale watching and penguin tours are seasonal.
What should we take?
Warm clothing, sensible walking shoes, a camera, sun protection, drinks and a snack.
Level of fitness required?
Access to the island involves disembarking from your charter boat onto a ladder and stairs to the jetty. The moderate walk on the island is paved with a relatively steep climb up to the lighthouse.
What can we expect to see on Barunguba Montague Island?
All Barunguba Montague Island tours are accompanied by a National Parks & Wildlife Service guide. Expect to see a variety of wildlife, depending on the season. Your guide will take you on an exploratory walk to view and learn about the incredible heritage and natural features of Barunguba Montague Island. A trip to the Barunguba Montague Island nature reserve usually includes a guided lighthouse tour.
Tours may be combined with a wildlife adventure like snorkelling or whale watching – enquire with your charter operator for pricing and options.
You can scuba dive Barunguba Montague Island for additional wildlife encounters with marine life including seals and grey nurse sharks. Enquire with your Barunguba Montague Island charter operator for availability and other requirements.
Barunguba Montague Island Tour times
- Departs: 8am or 8.30am
- Cost: From around $120 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 3.5 – 4 hours. Spend 2.5 hours on Barunguba Montague Island and visit the seal colonies
- Departs: 12.30pm or 1pm
- Cost: From around $100 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 2.5 – 3 hours. Spend 1 hour on Barunguba Montague Island and visit the seal colonies
Evening Barunguba Montague Island and Penguin Tour
This tour is usually only offered during summer.
- Departs: Late afternoon. The time is subject to the length of the day and will be advised by your charter operator when you book your Barunguba Montague Island tour. Little penguins come into shore at sunset.
- Cost: From around $110 per adult
- Duration: Approximately 3 – 3.5 hours. Spend 1.5 hours on Barunguba Montague Island. Visit the seal colonies and watch the sun set while the little penguins come ashore.